I hit a big milestone this week (July 2018)! I hit the 500 class mark with VIPKID! Woohoo! That is an unofficial marker of becoming a “veteran” teacher with this company. It took me 8 months to meet that milestone. Some do it in a much shorter time period, other much longer. To me, it seemed very far off when I began! So excited!
This comes on the heels of meeting another milestone that meant a lot to me, getting 100 5-apple ratings! That was the best milestone to me, because it means that 100 parents took the time to write a note about how well I’m teaching their student. In a job where there is very little real-time feedback about how you’re doing, teachers can tend to live for ratings as information about how we are doing in our teaching. It’s really the only way to know that you’re doing a good job, since so much of the job is just online, you and the student in the classroom.
For both of these milestones, it feels like validation that this is more than just a hobby or whim, or passing phase. It feels like a big win for me. It motivates me to do more and be better!
It has made me reflect on the beginning phases of this job, and where I’d like to go in the future. I’m a very goal-oriented person naturally, so of course, I’ve made some goals for myself in this job. Here are some things I’ve learned, and some goals I have!
What I’ve learned in 500 classes and 100 perfect ratings:
- Stay on your toes. This job is ever-changing. Don’t get too comfortable!
- Be yourself. They are choosing you as their teacher because they like something about YOU. Don’t be a copycat.
- Stay in your lane. Don’t compare. Know what YOU want out of this job- bookings, pay, regulars, whatever- and go after that.
- It’s all about the kids. Specifically, your regular students. They make the crazy hours, technology problems, and cross-cultural communication troubles all worth it.
My goals for the future with VIPKID:
- 1000 classes, 500 ratings.
- Improve my referral game. Right now I’ve only helped 4 people through the process. I’d love to help more teachers pursue this job.
- Write (on this blog) and film (for YouTube) weekly about VIPKID.
- Improve my trial class conversion (number of trial students who sign up for the full VIPKID package).
- Pursue becoming a Mock Class Mentor (helping new applicants) once I’m eligible.
Thanks for reading!
Some VIPKID highlights that I’ve shared:
- Blog #1 What Did I Just Sign Up For?!
- Blog #2 Am I Really Going To Teach Online?
- Blog #3 VIPKID Final Application Steps!
- Blog #4 VIPKID One Month Update
- Blog #7 VIPKID: Two month update!
- YouTube: Laura answers the FAQ
- YouTube: Six month update: Brick & Mortar/vipkid
Want more info? If you are in this fun job with VIPKID and you need someone to talk you through it, follow my referral link and use this code: 05IOD5. Thanks!
Hello! My name is Laura and I teach online for VIPKID, teaching English to Chinese students! I make videos here to connect with other teachers and applicants.
VIPKID referral link: https://t.vipkid.com.cn/activity/popup?refereeId=9269465&refersourceid=a01
VIPKID referral code: 05IOD5
VIPKID/Parenting Blog: http://www.laurarisdall.wordpress.com
Thanks for reading!