VIPKID is such a fun teaching job online. I love it. But not every day is perfect. Here is a play-by-play of a “bad VIPKID day.”
- My first class ended up being marked “Teacher IT,” meaning I don’t get paid because I had technology problems. I woke up and we had an internet interruption. So my first thing I do is try my hot spot on my phone. The hot spot worked, but I didn’t get it going fast enough. Moral of the story: get up early and get computer ready. An extra two minutes would have saved me the bad finish type!
- My second class was marked “Student IT.” I thought it was my problem, but it was the student’s issue. The student’s camera was stuck. The mom kept typing in Chinese to my in the chat box. I copied and pasted her words into Google Translate to understand what she was saying. Then, I used the “call firemen” button to get extra help.
- My third class was a “Student No Show!” I needed this break! And the best part was that it was a short notice cancellation, so I get paid the full amount for doing nothing!
Tips for technology problems:
- Don’t stress or panic.
- Know that bad days are uncommon.
- Go with the flow.
- Ask Firemen for help!
- Take screenshots in case you need to prove what you did.
You got this, teacher! Keep up the good teaching!